Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I dunno what's got into George lately. No-one sensible denies that Behringer
offers great value for money. But to suggest it's up there with the big boys

?
Noooooo way !

I am not saying they "sound the same" I am saying that sitting in a seat
in the audience you will not be able to tell which desk I am mixing on
the preamps are not a make or break point in the LIVE SOUND chain

One of the common complaints about Mackie (and Behringer is hardly in
the running) from "big" live sound engineers is that the preamps lack
headroom. Now I think this is manageable, but many live sound people
think it's an imposition to have to turn down the trim during a show.
Someone with experience and the ears to detect the onset of clipping
at the front end will deal with it and say he'll never mix on anything
but a Midas or better again. The "not yet big" boys will let it clip
and say "There's nothing I can do. It's the console."

While the audience may not know what's wrong, they'll hear that
something is wrong.

I a perfect world, we wouldn't need any console equalization, but that
never happens. The lower priced boards tend to start sounding harsh
when applying too much boost. Again, it's manageable though you may
not be able to do all you could do with a better console. But an
inexperienced operator will just keep trying past the point of no
return and things will start sounding painful. Again, the audience may
not know specifically what's wrong, but they know it doesn't sound as
good as the record, or as good as another show they saw.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )