Bob-Stanton

Default Transient response of actively filtered speakers

(Carlos) wrote in message

I'll try to be more specific: I would like to know whether the final
system (closed sub with Q=0.707, F3 = 37 Hz, 4th order LR crossover @
100 Hz) will have noticeably worse transient response than the current
one (vented boxes with 37% larger than maximally flat box volume,
tuned 22% lower than maximally flat, F3 = 40 Hz, 19.5 dB/Oct. slope),
assuming that the filter is well implemented, the levels are matched
and the distance from listening position to main speakers and sub is
the same (+/- 10 cm) and, for the sake of simplicity, the sub and main
speakers have substantially flat frequency response within their
respective passbands.

The final system, with the closed box subwoofer and a 4th order L-R
crossover, will have a slightly better transient response than the
current vented box does by itself. Actually, the two systems are very
close.

The (100 Hz) 4th order, LR crossover degrades the transient response,
but the close box woofer has a good transient response by itself.
Together they are not too bad. As I said, they will be about the same
as the vented box alone.

Bob Stanton