Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default The Problem with Stereo

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 6:45:38 PM UTC-4, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
es, spread evenly across the region between the speakers.
=20
But will this high direct field from those two points in space sound the=

=20
same as the live sound that was recorded? Why or why not?

Gary:

AR did this for years, and years, and years, using their 3 and 3a speakers,=
and had some of the finest golden-ears of the industry agreeing that the t=
ransition from speaker to live was seamless and transparent. This is exactl=
y the wrong suggestion to make as there are any number of speakers out ther=
e capable of that task. ONE THING!! They never would have been placed per y=
our suggestion, that would have been an invitation to failure. I suggest yo=
u go back in time and look for an AR white paper on how to place speakers i=
n any given room - all other things being equal. The surprises you will dis=
cover:

a) Speakers are not to be placed on the short wall of a room.
b) Speakers are placed some distance from a wall, corner or from the floor =
based on a number of factors determined by the room, its size and the natur=
e of the furnishings. This *WILL* vary.=20
c) No sort of additional 'enhancement' or 'deadening' or absorption is nece=
ssary. In other words, pretty basic placement per some pretty basic princip=
les is all that is necessary for excellent performance and a clean sound-st=
age (which is definitely larger than a human head in height, width and dept=
h).=20

I think you are confused by the size of your listening venue and the additi=
onal complexities that adds to the process.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA =20