Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Any impressions on the EMM Labs CDSA-SE CD/SACD player?

"Jenn" wrote in message

On Nov 19, 7:23 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

On Nov 18, 8:10 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
In fact about 99% of all music lovers have abandoned
the LP. Only a tiny noisy minority bother with it any
more.

Not all are "noisy", Arny. Some of us just like what
some LPs bring to the sonic and musical table.

It's not a matter of just liking. People like many
things that they don't publicly obsess over so
frequently as we see, with that tiny noisy minority who
still bother with LPs.

Again, I'm part of that tiny minority, and I and most
people who like some LPs are not particularly "noisy"
about it, IMO.

This is irony - a claim of no noise in the midst of making noise about a
medium that almost nobody can stand to bother with any more/

It seems like those who talk/write so
much about something they don't like are more noisy.

It's just a matter of presenting a balanced picture. If the noisy minority
would let the LP be in its proper place, then there would be less criticism
of its well-known and rather gross failings.

A lot of recent LP sales were
related to "scratching" in dance clubs. Since digital
means for simulating scratching have become readily
available, LP sales dropped by about another 1/3 per
RIAA statistics.
Cite, please.

http://76.74.24.142/E795D602-FA50-3F...8A40B98C46.pdf

1997 0.7
1998 0.7
1999 0.5
2000 0.5
2001 0.6
2002 0.7
2003 0.5
2004 0.9 - peak LP sales 10 years - also when
digital scratching started becoming widely accepted.
2005 0.7
2006 0.6 - sales drop 1/3 from peak of 0.9

Which, as I read it, is something near only 10% of the
margin of error (.3% with a 2.8% margin of error).

People keep talking about margins of error. I see no justification for
saying that the margin of error is that high. It appears to me that people
are confusing variation with error.

I thought that you might have something based on sales,
rather than a small phone survey.

"Small phone survey?" LOL!

What would be interesting is a stat that shows numbers of
LPs sold for listening, rather than for scratching.

Since there is no longer any need to scratch LPs in order to create the
audible effect, we may be able to determine that by simply watching LP sales
drop like a stone.

Impossible to know, I know.

It is well known that for a while, the number of turntables sold for
scratching exceeded the sales of guitars. Since the guitar is one of the
most popular instruments in the music store, this says that for a while, a
lot of LPs were being scratched. A huge amount!

Right now turntables sales and new models are increasing, but a lot of them
are very low cost, fitted with built-digital interfaces, and being sold for
the purpose of archiving vinyl. Hardly the image that the high end wants to
project for the LP.