Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Any impressions on the EMM Labs CDSA-SE CD/SACD player?

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:12:50 -0800, bob wrote
(in article ):

On Nov 18, 10:36 pm, Sonnova wrote:

Because I'm making a very specific point. The point is (as I have said)
given that LP is fraught with problems, both mechanical and electrical, how
come the medium can often elicit positive emotional responses from
listeners, while the CD of the same performance does not?

Euphonic distortion, probably mixed in with a bit of nostalgia.

Agreed (except for the nostalgia bit. I personally care not for nostalgia).
My point is that if euphonic distortion makes a recording sound more real,
then I'm all for it!

Obviously the CD is
more accurate - in every way- than is the LP, but the LP sounds more alive,
more palpably THERE than the CD.Not that this is always the case, but it is
the case often enough to raise in my mind the question of the importance of
"accuracy" in the recording an playback of music. If we assume that the CD
is
more accurate, but the LP -with all of it's flaws- SOUNDS better, then which
approach is better?

Depends on what your goal is. If your goal is, "what sounds best to
me" or "what evokes for me a sense of live music" or "what gives me
goose bumps" then whether it's technically accurate or not is beside
the point. Enjoy your euphonic distortion, if that's what gets you
off. Just be careful not to make technical claims about the
superiority of the gear that produces those distortions.

I'm not. The whole point of my participation in this discussion is that if we
can't make an audio system convey the sense of realism associated with live
music by making each link in the chain as perfectly squeeky-clean as is
technologically possible, then perhaps that kind of accuracy is not all that
important to the reproduction of music.

bob