Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default Frustrating Search for Recordings

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:57:09 PM UTC-8, Scott wrote:
On Feb 6, 7:17=A0am, Bob Lombard wrote:
=20
On 2/5/2013 6:51 PM, John Stone wrote:

On 2/5/2013 10:18 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

=20
I just played my new copy of Marty Paich's "The Picasso of Big Band=

s" CD,
=20
and it was stereo and it was terrific. Recorded in 1957, but must h=

ave been
=20
recorded in stereo or multitrack, could have possibly been released=

on tape
=20
as well as LP, but I believe LP went stereo in 1958. Anyway, it is =

good
=20
stereo, not artificial and not ping pong. Recommended.

=20

=20
Gary Eickmeier

=20

=20
Good news. =A0LP 'went stereo' =A0to some significant degree in 1954=

, and a
=20
lot in '55 - at least in classical studio recordings. The Westex

=20
technology was demonstrated in '47, I think.

=20

=20
Really? My understanding is that the first stereo LP's weren't releas=

ed to
=20
the public until 1958. Certainly there were no stereo LP players usin=

g the
=20
45/45 system before then. There were some stereo tapes and some "dual=

arm"
=20
players before that. But they were pretty rare.

=20

=20
Looks like my memory has slipped a decade. Interesting in it's precisio=

=20
though. =A0I have LPs of early 50s performances that are true stereo.

=20
Made from stereo open reel tapes?

=20
=20
=20
probably. Something worth looking out for are new issues of old stereo
=20
recordings that were never available in stereo. here is a very cool
=20
example.
=20
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/85..._57_Essential=

_Elvis_Volume_2-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record
=20
I will definitely be buying this one when it comes out.

I recollect that a lot of 50's rock-n-roll LPs were never released in stere=
o, Even although many were recorded in stereo. The only reason that I can c=
ome-up with why that might be so is that demographically, the record compan=
ies figured that teenagers were not likely to have any more than a cheap "p=
ortable" record player and not a stereo at their disposal to play pop recor=
ds on, so they didn't do stereo. Also, in the '50's, the pop music scene me=
ant 45 RPM singles, which didn't go "stereo" until the early-'60's when the=
development of compatible stereo/mono discs finally ended dual inventory.=
=20