Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

Default Frustrating Search for Recordings

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
For some reason the cover designers, reviewers, and cataloguers couldn't
care less about whether a recording is stereo or not. If you buy an older
disc or are looking for something, there is NOTHING on the cover art to
proclaim stereo. Most of the time you can't even tell the original recording
date, which should be 1958 or later to give you a fighting chance. I am
looking for some of Marty Paich's recordings, and cannot tell which are
stereo except by finding one that has some samples on Amazon that I can play
on my computer and tell. They give the album release date as somewhere in
the 90s or 2000s, which is not the recording date.

Is the stereo or mono question so uninteresting to the general public that
it isn't even remarked?

Go to any record store and look at the demographics of
those purchasing records. They're mostly younger adults.
Ask them whether they care.

Wait! not many young adults go to records stores!. Well,
that makes it kinda hard. Stand outside the reocrd store
and ask the young adults that walk by whether they care.

Wait! What's a "record store?"

Wait! What's a "record?"

Okay, let's make it simple. Find ANYWHERE where the major
portion of the population that buys music might hange
out. Ask whoever you find whether they care if recordings
are in mono or stereo. Ask them whether they care if
Marty Paich's recordings are in mono or stereo.

Here might be some of there answers:

"Who's Marty Paich?"

"Recorded WHEN? Are you f****** kidding me?

"What's mono?"

"My grandparents have a 'stereo' and they also have
this big thing sitting on a desk that makes this rude
jangling sound and they pick part of it up and talk
into it, just like in those old classic movies from
the '80s. Is that close enough?"

"Is it MP3?"

"Is it in I-Tunes?"

"Whadya mean, 'buy' music?"

"Get away from me, you creep! STRANGER DANGER!"

The world we live in is a very different place.

--
+ Dick Pierce |