Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default APOLOGIES TO ALL: PIEZO TWEETERS DO SOUND LIKE ****!!!!

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:32:09 PM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
GO AHEAD AND TAKE TURNS SAYING: "I TOLD YOU SO, DUMB MOTHER-****ER!"

**** YOU ALL FOR BEING RIGHT! HAHA!

IN MY DEFENSE, I'M NOT STUPID....JUST CHEAP, FRUGAL, AND STUBBORN
AS HELL! THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

HAHAHAAA!!!

This was apparent after comparing A/B NON-CROSSOVERED piezos with
one of my Yamaha HS80Ms.

The incriminating test song was Pink Floyd's "Time"! As soon as
the vocals come in, it's SCREECH CITY with the piezo! BOY THAT SOUNDS
BAD! I mean, it depends on where you are listening wrt the horn, but
if you are right in front of it....UUUUGGGHH!!

In contrast, you can listen anywhere in front of the Yammies, and
although they may sound bright, and have tons of "presence", they never
get HARSH like the piezos!

So then I experimented with adding a crossover, and settled on
series 2uF non-polarized cap, and shunt 22 Ohm resistor before the
piezos in parallel (a series 0.1uF after the shunt resistor, for -6dB,
was too much, and almost killed off the signal completely).

The crossover makes it more tolerable, but I can't say it sounds
good delivering high fidelity music. For some reason, just singing
through it with an SM58, makes the harshness less noticeable, so
it could still be useful for that usage.

I'll probably sell this for a few bucks to a poor garage band,
telling them exactly what I did.

I DIDN'T WASTE MY TIME AND ENERGY WITH THIS EXPERIMENT: I LEARNED
QUITE A BIT, AND THAT MAKES TINKERING WORTH DOING!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone....