Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default APOLOGIES TO ALL: PIEZO TWEETERS DO SOUND LIKE ****!!!!

On 2/16/2017 4:48 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

Incidentally, the tan δ for that capacitor is given in the maker's
datasheets as as 0.16 at 120 Hz, so the ESR isn't fanstasic. There is
no mention of self inductance values, but as it's an aluminium film type
capacitor, the self inductance figures won't be all that low.

270 nF does not seem out of the question to me,

So let's assume the leaded capacitor has about 15nH of self
inductance.

270-15= 255 nH.

And let's guesstimate 6nH of inductance per cm of lead length.

42.5 cm of added lead length???

THAT WOULD BE SLOPPY ENGINEERING!!!!

:/

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/capacitors.htm

I haven't personally seen resonances that low in capacitors, but I have seen
some only a couple octaves higher. Thankfully not huge ones.
--scott