John Durbin

Default Clean Power?

The P2110 was good for 110wpc...

JD

Mark Zarella wrote:

I can also tell you that A/D/S pretty much made extremely good units

except

for a few choice "dogs". I can only currently think of only one. I can't
remember the model, but it had several DSP processors on board. Also had
5, yea 5 separate power supplies. Each one "yanking" the amplifiers

ground

all over creation. They also had a rather good Audio Engineer's ( Ed
Meitner ) pre-driver stage that was particularly good at rejecting Power
supply noise or any "common-mode" noise for that matter. It was partly
their saving grace. I think that your P840 shares this pre-driver
technology. If you can get your hands on a schematic of your P840, look
for the pre-driver stage. If you see some OPAMPS whose output pins are
tied to GND and has JFETS between the +/- 15 volt rails and the OPAMPS
input +/- supply pins, then you are indeed fortunate. This type of driver
section is usually only used in audiophile grade home amplifiers. Ed
performed a miracle and got it to work for a car amplifier. Those amps
also typically us Burr-Brown Audio grade OPAMPS as well.

I've replaced op amps for people who asked me to before (sometimes along
with the discrete components so that I could modify xovers and the like, but
that's another story), and never found a noticeable difference afterwards.
But admittedly, I never a/b'd them. I wouldn't expect a difference though,
since the distortion characteristics of modern op amps tend to be top-notch
(and in fact, superior to discrete components as I found out the hard way in
one design I was doing for another application).

In short, That amp of yours and it's next of kin the P850 are indeed great
amps. Just stay away from Constant Bass. This function was implemented
incorrectly. If it were done right, it would be a blessing. But, it was
implemented wrong and kills your sound stage. Engage this feature and
listen to a "sound staging" test CD. You will indeed hear the loss of

your

soundstage.

I'd like to be able to find a higher power 2-channel relative to the P840
for my rear speakers. I currently have a 240 (?) that looks the same, but I
was hoping to find something closer to 80x2. Did they make one?