Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Volume Level of "Tuner" vs that of "CD" "Tape" or "Phono" on my home stereo, boombox, or car receiver

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

It's the same wherever I go. In the car, I switch from my mp3 jack or
CD to a FM station and instinctively I have to turn the volume down by
at least 1/3rd.

And that is on a logrithmic volume control. The actual difference is even
more.

At home, switching from a record, CD or tape to the radio - gotta
crank that volume down! Ditto at the beach on my boombox.

Make up some hypercompressed CDs, and play those.

Now folks I don't need a lecture on dyamic compression/sonic
maximizers and all the other crap radio stations reem their music
through. I can even duplicate the effect quite faithfully(or
hideously for you audiophiles reading this) with the rudimentary
compressor in Audacity.

Then do it!

What I would like to know is if anyone here knows if any compression
or limiting exists in the circuits of the Tuner sections of the
aformentioned audio equipment above - especially in consumer
electronics mfgd more recently?

In another post Scott and I told you that there are no such things, and you
promptly ignored us.

On consideration, There are FM radios with "midnight swtiches", that do
introduce compression.

Some FM radios also have a kind of opposite compression circuits, in the
form of noise reduction circuits, one of which is called "DNR".

I'm not going to repeat my objections to the rest of your post's points,
because I really don't like being snubbed in public.