Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Volume Level of "Tuner" vs that of "CD" "Tape" or "Phono" on my homestereo, boombox, or car receiver

It's the same wherever I go. In the car, I switch from my mp3 jack or
CD to a FM station and instinctively I have to turn the volume down by
at least 1/3rd.

At home, switching from a record, CD or tape to the radio - gotta
crank that volume down! Ditto at the beach on my boombox.

Now folks I don't need a lecture on dyamic compression/sonic
maximizers and all the other crap radio stations reem their music
through. I can even duplicate the effect quite faithfully(or
hideously for you audiophiles reading this) with the rudimentary
compressor in Audacity.

What I would like to know is if anyone here knows if any compression
or limiting exists in the circuits of the Tuner sections of the
aformentioned audio equipment above - especially in consumer
electronics mfgd more recently?

Because I really don't believe that radio stations' own processing is
solely to blame for my having to crank UP the volume when going from
AM/FM a CD or mp3 or cranking DOWN the volume after switchng from CD/
mp3/phono AM/FM.

1. Does the tuner section on consumer stereo equipment/portables/auto
sound incorporate some compression/limiting circuitry? 2. Is the
tuner input level set intentionally louder than the line inputs(CD,
aux/mp3, etc)? 3. Or, is it a combination of 1 and 2, on top of
compression/other processing employed by the radio stations?

much appreeesh,

-ChrisCoaster