Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Turntable "suspended in a vacuum" to prevent vibrations?

George's Pro Sound Company wrote:
at one time I sold Camera that were mounted to electron scanning
microscopes
one I personal was involved with was the on in the botony building at
cornell university
the professors there told me that a bus driving 1/4 mile away cause so much
vibration to render the microscope useless
so the scope was mounted to a 12 foot by 12 foot 25 foot deep slab of
reinforced concrete

This is normal. Mass is your friend. I have a small slab poured here
which is isolated from the rest of the building foundation and has the
lathe and turntable mounted on it. It's only a fraction of that size
but it seems to do pretty well.

I sure there were more details about suspension and stuff but this is what
it takes to eliminate common vibrations from devices

The lower the frequency, the more mass it takes.