Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Vinyl colorations, inherent, euphonic and inherent euphonic.

wrote in message
On Oct 24, 2:33�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 23, 5:47 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
Vinyl is so limited in terms of dynamic range that many if not most
digital
masters would require further processing if a good-sounding LP were
the
desired outcome. It is perfectly trivial to create a digital master
that
would damage most LP cutting equipment if not operated by an expert.
The
expert would start out by changing the master. Producing an acceptable
LP
from an unaltered digital master of ordinary music might be
impossible.
To the best of my knowledge there are very few commercial recordings
that have an excess of 75 db dynamic range.

If we consider the results posted at �www.hometheatrehifi.com, their LP
system tests show 22 dB audio-band dynamic range,

The link doesn't work but any claim that the inherent dynamic range of
medium is 22db would simply be erroneous.

Not really.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/featu...s-6---8_2.html

shows even worse results than that.

Test results with the Manly Preamp and MacIntosh MT10 Turntable/Arm/Cartdige
show 20% THD+N, which corresponds to 13 dB dyanamic range.

These results were obtained using the same standard that they used for
evaluating CD players, to make the comparison an apples-to-apples
comparison.

There is a long-standing convention of using a relaxed standard for testing
LP noise and distortion, which I used in my PCAVTech tests. As a rule,
broadband measurements of LP Noise and distortion is performed using a
roll-off that is very steep, starting just below the test frequency. Since
the LP has relatively large amounts of noise below 200 Hz, this provides
better results for THD+N.

By most accounts from those
involved with state of the art vinyl reproduction report that the
inherent dynamic range ia anywhere from 75 to 80 db.

It's not a matter of the state of the art, its a matter of a biased
criteria. The biased criteria has been in use for at least 40 years. It's a
tradition. I used it without thinking.

Also we have to
remember the noise floor of vinyl has a specific sonic signature which
allows for hearing signals well below the noise floor.

This is also true for the CD format, even though its broadband noise floor
is far lower. So, this is a moot point. Furthermore, the noise floor of the
CD format is commonly manipulated to improve the subjectively weighted
dynamic range into the 120 dB range.

If their rig is only able to achieve 22db dynamic range it has some
serious problems.

No, there are very serious dynamic range problems with the LP format as
compared to even 30-year-old digital formats. Low frequency noise and high
frequency dynamic range are serious problems. We've been sweeping those
problems under the rug for decades with biased measurement techniques.

which is far worse than a
typical uncompressed classical CD which has 65 dB or better audio-band
dynamic range.

65 db is well within the inherent limitations of vinyl.

Not if noise below 200 Hz is treated the same as we treat it when
characterizing the CD format.

It's also extremely dynamic by recording standards.

That would appear to be a meaningless statement.

You will find the vast
majority of commercial recordings have far less dynamic range.

Actually, 65 dB dynamic range is easy to achieve. Of course its possible to
compress program material so that it has zero dynamic range, but that's an
artistic choice, not a characteristic of CD technology.

Not to say we shouldn't try to accomedate recordings with exceptionally
wide
dynamic ranges.

If you want to accomodate wide dynamic range, you are forced out of the LP
format.

Butt audio-band dynamic range is not the LP format's weakest link.
Dynamic
range at high frequencies the far more significant weakness of the LP
format.

That is true. Things like cymbal crashes with close microphone
techniques and other such signals are an issue with vinyl. The cutting
engineer will likely use a limiter if that kind of high frequency
energy is in the signal.

And the effects of the limiter will be audible and some sparkle and liveness
will be sacrificed to accomodate the technical limitations of the LP format.