Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

Default Vinyl colorations, inherent, euphonic and inherent euphonic.

On Oct 24, 5:26�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 23, 5:47 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

"Please tell us how you know about this distortion that
is "inherent" in LP playback.

Please compare

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/image...8/vinyl-vs-cd-...
Note that this graphic shows a 1 KHz tone, with the
second harmonic about 20
dB down, which I call 10% second harmonic nonlinear
distortion. 10% distortion is a lot of distortion by any standard.

As you point out, I was mislead by the author's commentary. The
difference
is just about exactly 40 dB, which is still very poor performance for a
modern playback device. The accompanying text talks about 7-10% THD+N
which
mislead me.

But more importantly, how do you
differentiate the distortion that is inherent from the
distortion that is unique to that particular rig and the
test record?

One presumes competence on the part of the person doing the test - that
they
used an adequate test record.

I find that presumption to be unacceptable.

I find flat, unjustified, unsupported dismissal of the work of a well-known
technician to be unacceptable.

I do too but that isn't what I have done. I have pointed out that the
test results are due in no small part to the added didtortions of the
test record and the rig being tested. There is no way to look at the
results on their face and determine what portion of the measured
distortion is an inherent distortion of the medium and what portion is
not. I don't believe any calim is made by the authors as to what
portion of the distortion they measured is inherent in the medium. I
have not dismissed their work.

One cannot draw such
universal conclusions about the inherent colorations of the medium
based on such a limited sampling.

Scott, that would be proof positive that you haven't bothered to do your
reading. You asked for the references, which makes you responsible for
reviewing them before you dismiss them.

I'm not sure what your point is here but I did read the article cited
that reported the tests with the McIntosh TT. Please feel free to cite
any specific excerpts that you feel will show what portion of the
measured distortion in that test is inherent in the medium and what
portion is not. I apologize in advance for anything I may have missed.

to:
http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/grado-SNR.gif
Note that this graphic shows a 300 Hz tone, with the
second and third
harmonics each 40-45 dB down, which I call less than one
percent second and third harmonic distortion.
OK. But again, how do you tell the difference between the
inherent distortion in the medium and the distortion that
is unique to your rig and the test record?

I used a SOTA test record. My modest rig outperformed a
highly-expensive
rig.

I disagree. The test record you used was not cut on the latest most
advanced cutting lathes and does not represent the state of the art of
vinyl mastering.

Prove it.

HiFi News and record review test record correct? The one cut back in
the late 60s right?