Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

Default Vinyl colorations, inherent, euphonic and inherent euphonic.

On Oct 22, 3:46�am, ScottW wrote:
On Oct 21, 3:17�pm, wrote:

Another alleged inherent coloration is channel cross talk. My
cartridge, a Koetsu Rosewood Signature, has a measured channel
separation of just over 30db.

�The spec is 25 db @ 1kHz.http://www.koetsuusa.com/koetsu_products2.php

We have a case of conflicting specs here.
http://pachome2.pacific.net.sg/~angmelvin/Range.html
I doubt either distributor is doing independent measurments. One of
them is simply mistaken.

IME experience all carts have declining channel separation
with frequency. For example, mine is spec'd at 31 db @
1 kHz and 21 db @ 10 kHz. �I think you'd find it to be easily
audible if you disable the primary channel so it doesn't mask
the crosstalk. If you're playing a 90 db tone in one channel,
the 60 db crosstalk won't be hard to hear if the primary
channel is muted.

Actually with my test records I can hear pure cross talk when
adjusting the azimuth of my stylus. Yes I can hear it. That's how I
adjust for cross talk, by slowly turning the azimuth until it is at
it's lowest level. The difference in level compared to the actual
signal when I switch back to stereo to hear the full signal is
enormous. And as I stated, I can't hear the opposite channel on the
test tones that play one channel. So it seems the cross talk is
sufficiently masked enough to not call direct attention to itself. A
lot of different distortions become audible when they are separated
from the whole signal. The important question is what is their effect
when they are fully integrated not isolated.

I don't particularly find the lack of perfect channel separation
an impediment to good vinyl mastering engineers creating
a very convincing image.

It has been my observation that by reducing cross talk as much as
possible with proper azimuth adjustment one improves the sound stage
in every way. So if this cross talk is in fact a euphonic coloration
that enhances the sense of space on LPs it clearly has to the right
amount. An amount that is at most near the minimum threshold allowed
by the technology.