Mike Rivers

Default need portable front end for Alesis hard disk recorder - or do I?

In article writes:

Kinda depends on whether or not the Direct outs are pre or post fader.
Most I've seen are post fader, then every fader move and setting
affects recording levels.

This may not be a bad thing if the engineer is on the ball, or it
could make for a really hard-to-mix recording if he's always goofing
around and doesn't know how to mix (and when to stop fiddling). If
something's too loud in the house, it's going to be too loud on the
recording, so you might as well turn it down. If it can't be heard in
the house, it'll requre a lot of boost when mixing the recording so
you might as well turn it up.

The only problem is that the house engineer is working in real time so
unless it's a rehearsed thing, the level will be too low or too high
for a while before he makes a change, whereas if the record gain was
constant, when mixing, you would know when a gain change is needed.
Worst case - you'd make the change before the house engineer, then
follow along with his change to get back to normal.

It would be better if the adjustments were made with the console input
trims to keep loud stuff from overloading the front end or keep the
console noise from getting noticable when boosting quiet parts with
the fader, but live recording on the cheap is never going to be ideal.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )