Scott Dorsey

Neil Rutman wrote:

I know generally what I'm gonna need to get if I start doing this but I
could use some advice on the specifics.

1. Portable DAT w/ timecode. Any good value options here?

The HHb sells used at good prices. Most of the video guys will want you
to feed their recorder rather than go double-system, but double-system is
a huge advantage for everyone when there is a budget for it.

2. Couple of telescoping booms. Where do I get these?

I like the Film Group. You can look on r.a.m.p.s and get different views
on booms. Some folks like one brand, others like another. Hell, I still
have a Gitzo kit around here that weighs a ton.... it's solid and silent
but boom ops don't like me.

3. Small Mackie Mixer

Definitely not. If you really need a mixer, get something designed for
the job. Cooper, Sonosax, Audio Devices. If you have to cheap out, get
the Shure FP33.

4. A sturdy cart with wheels

You don't really need a cart the first time around. You can work out of
a bag. The cart is nice, though, but it now requires you to have a van.

5. Several lavalier mics with transmitters and reciever(s). This is where
I'm really in the dark. What system can support several wireless mics
without frequency overlap and won't cost me an arm and a leg? How many
outputs from the reciever will there be?

You will pay an arm and a leg. Sonosax and Zaxcom would be my first two
recommendations. Vega if you can't afford it. If you just get a pair of
them, you can rent others when you need them. All of this stuff is very
readily rented.

6. I have a pretty extensive mic collection to go on the booms. What works
best for a boom application?

The tightest hypercardioid you can find. The Schoeps is a good one. You
want tight and you want clean off-axis response most of the time.

Occasionally you will find a serious need for a shotgun mike, usually
outdoors but every once in a while in some cavernous buildings. The
Sennheiser MKH416 is the old standby and shows up used a lot.

You will need zeppelins for both of these, although you may try and use
the some one for both. If you do not have the budget, the Rycote baby
ball gag is surprisingly good for the price.

If I am missing anything please fill me in. Is my DAT w/ time code recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording? How does that work?

You jam synch with the video camera. Then everybody just free-runs.