Garthrr

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

In article , "Arny Krueger"
writes:

Dither clearly doesn't correct quantization error. Dither does change
quantization error into something that is sonically more benign.

Allow me to hazard a guess as to how dither works: First of all, do I
understand correctly that dither is used whether or not a file is being altered
in some way or not? In other words, even in a first generation digital
recording dither is already in use right? If the answer to that question is no
then I am really lost.

Anyway, if we have two adjacent samples of different voltages which are both
being rounded, does the dither sort of randomly insert other near voltages
around the two samples and in doing so smooth the differences between the two
samples' voltages? e.g: if we had one sample with a value of 1.736400 volts and
following sample with 1.736500 volts might the dither insert a voltage of
1.736450 (a voltage somewhere between the other two)? I realize those are not
16 bit numbers but I dont think it matters for this question.
Of course it has now occurred to me that I dont know where this dither signal
would be placed since there is no intermediate sample in which to put it.
Eeewww buoy!

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney