Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Polk Audio - Opinions?

Once upon a time on usenet wrote:
On Tuesday, October 17, 2000 at 11:00:00 AM UTC+4, Todd Newman wrote:
A few years back, I was selling mid-range audio gear (Yamaha
receivers, Infinity speakers, Bose (yuck!) ; our best system was a
Yamaha DSPA-3090 with Kappa 8's which ran for about $4500)

The place I was working for (no longer in business) picked up Polk
Audio and I remember the training for it. You'd think they were the
best speakers ever built based on what I heard. There was no
question that they were better than what we carried, and I really
was impressed with their sound quality. I did some independent
"research" (read a few A/V mags) and got some reviews. The general
consensus of what I could find was that the RT-16 was the best tower
speaker you could buy for less than $1000 a pair (Retailed for $999
a pair). Several years later, I was able to buy a pair of them for
about half that, and I have since built an entire home theater
around Polk's trilaminate tweeter.

I'm pleased with the system (I power it with a Yamaha RX-V992), but I
am left with the nagging question... Are Polk's "high-end" or are
they just good for the money? I know that if I enjoy it, that's all
that counts, but part of enjoying the system is the pride you get
out of knowing that your system is soo much better than those crappy
Bose systems everyone thinks is so great.

I know Polk isn't PDS or Definitive Technologies, but where do they
really fall?

I would love a spirited debate with some input from both sides, but
will gladly settle for any opinions at all.

Thanks

Todd

Don't ever buy Polk, the wireless and bluetooth connectivity is
terrible. Look online in the forums and many other users have had
similar problems. Really regretting buying mine...

As you are replying to a post sent in October 2000 I very much doubt that
the items in question were ever fitted with wireless or bluetooth tech.

Yet another googlegropes necropost.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."