WillStG

Default Broadcast sound question

"Gian Luca Specchia"
I'm working for a satellite television that use a mixer Yamaha DM 2000 .
I would like to work with the maximum level possible before clip.....I mean
near 0 dbfs
Do You think it's wrong or Should I follow another way to achive the maximum
definition ?

Absolutely wrong in a studio facility But you should forget about your
"maximum definition" concept here, that's crap in this situation. You mix to
0VU, which is typically -20dbfs in broadcasting. On a peak reading meter you
will go much higher than -20, but you should never even _approach_ 0dbfs in a
broadcast situation coming straight out of your console.

Mix to 0 on your VU meters, and don't argue with your broadcast engineers.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Fox And Friends/Fox News