Scott Dorsey

Default Broadcast sound question

Gian Luca Specchia wrote:

I'm working for a satellite television that use a mixer Yamaha DM 2000 .
I would like to work with the maximum level possible before clip.....I mean
near 0 dbfs

Why? If you are working that close to the line, you have to be very careful
not to go over the limit. Leave yourself some headroom.

Do You think it's wrong or Should I follow another way to achive the maximum
definition ?

Most of the video guys keep peaks around -20dBFS. This gives you some room
to play if things go wrong. And with a 16 bit system keeping peaks at -20,
you still have 76 dB of dynamic range to play with, which is a lot more than
any TV program will ever use.