Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Rasta Robert Rasta Robert is offline

Default long lines of interesting and educational posts to usenet ;-)

On 2017-05-23, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
Hi y'all!
Just for your information,
lines longer than 78 characters make it uncomfortable for me
to read otherwise very interesting posts, since I still use
a conventional news-reader like slrn on a terminal.
Panning is possible but as I said: uncomfortable.

While I do agree people who post should mind the line length
guidelines, in slrn, while in article view, you can hit 'w'
to toggle line wrapping mode. That is the quickest way
to render otherwise hard to read posts comfortably readable.
When replying to such an article, line length doesn't get
automatically wrapped/adjusted, so it's still an annoyance
as you have to add line breaks and quotation marks to the
follow-up/reply.

That is why usenet etiquette mentions:

RFC 1855 Netiquette Guidelines October 1995

- Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
with a carriage return.

This is even more restrictive than what I politely asked for, namely
78chars. I'm no usenet-police, just a reader speaking in my behalf.

I'm sorry to have ruffled a few feathers. As I said, your posts are
interesting and most welcome.

Have a nice day and keep up the good work.
Eike ZP6CGE