Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Will I fry my amp if I use a 14.8V battery instead of a 12V ?

On 6/15/2018 2:43 PM, wrote:

I busk with a Crate Limo TX 50D which runs of an integrated 12V, 7A lead acid battery, I want to use a lighter lithium-ion battery but its 14.8V, 8A. the amp with the battery removed. I am tempted to plug the 14.8V battery into the 12V DC cigarette lighter adapter plug .... my question is: Will I fry my amp if I do this ?

Nope. Most auto electrical systems run around 14 volts anyway.

If I want to run the amp from the wall outlet can I plug the 15V AC adapter/battery charger into the 12V input on the amp ?

Not successfully. The charger doesn't provide enough current (amps) to
power the amplifier. It needs to run off the battery. You might get a
little more mileage out of the battery if you plug the charger into the
charging input, which will put a little more charge into the battery
while you're playing, but you'll be taking charge out faster than you're
putting it in.

--

For a good time, call
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com