Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default time aligning a spot microphone the simple way

Sean Conolly wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
Hi Guys,

here is how to get a spot microphone just right if you again forgot
measure or record a clap near it:

1) know the order of magnitude of the required delay so that you start out
close to right

2) pan suitable main pair microphone fully left or right

3) pan spot mic fully right

4) get volume reasonably balanced

this does it!

5) adjust delay for proper center image of spot microphone sound source

/this does it!

6) add a few milliseconds if spot microphone sound source protrudes when
properly mixed.

Note: adjustment sensitivity is single milliseconds. May for some be
easier when listening via headphones and for some be easier when listening
via loudspeakers, not fully verified what works best, try both!

This is one case where I prefer to use my eyes: in the DAW drag the spot mic
back (time delay) until it lines up with the main mics. You just have to
find a place in the music where the instrument being spotted is prominant
enough to see in the main waveform.

Sean

Works when using a DAW, but not for situations where one will be
capturing a stereo mix. It can be helpful in the latter setting to get
it as right as possible from the gitgo.

When in the DAW, I will use my eyes to get close, and then close my eyes
to listen until I lke it. Sometimes I will get down to nudging by the
sample.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri