Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Making a portable stereo ... should I port it?

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
And, lastly, making it as loud as possible for you also
makes it, likely, TOO loud for those near you who don't
share you particular musical and audio proclivity.

Presumably that's his point or he would simply use headphones/ear buds.

Save that depending upon the jurisdication and the type
of vehicle, it may be illegal to wear any such applicances
while, alledgedly, controlling the vehicle.

Good point. Since it's compulsory to wear a helmet on a bike here (both
pedal and motor) wearing earbuds within your helmet is fairly common.
Whether it's a good idea on the road is another matter, but I doubt it's any
worse than having the same music SPL at your ears, just because it's coming
from speakers. If the level is high enough it will mask most external sounds
in any case. Something easily possible with most cars if you have both the
stereo and windows up.

Then again, in some jurisdictions, it may also be illegal
for the vehicle to generate excessive sound pressure levels
in a public area. Or, maybe, it should be.

It is here, but it may be hard for him to reach that limit with anything he
can carry on a bike (as he mentioned) Possible on a motorbike however, and
with a car it's not at all difficult.

Trevor.