Mike Rivers

Default Help with my Ghidra console/ NEVE/API/Trident etc

In article writes:

I'm really suprised more people haven't spoke on this thread about
this type of mixer. With all of the preamps being sold I think it's a
great idea, but I guess everybody is just buying a couple Neves and
calling it good.

It's the trend toward a mixerless studio, and also the incomeless
studio. They spend their money on one or two high end items (a good
preamp and a good mic) and then mix tracks in the computer because
it's there and it works.

There has indeed been wishful thinking about line level mixers, but
at the back end, not the front end. The thought is that if you "only"
need line level, a mixer shouldn't be very expensive. What they don't
realize is that the output level from a "professoinal" audio interface
is really high, peaking at +22 to +28 dBu at full scale (and of course
nobody goes to mixdown with tracks lower than full scale because
y'know, you lose all that RESOLUTION) and mixing 24 tracks at that
level requires a console that has internal headroom of lotsa volts.
The digital people figured this out a few years ago and provided
internal mixing at 48-bit resolution, but it's much more expensive to
do with analog hardware.

So what you have is people who can't find what they think should be a
simple mixer for $500 and they just keep mixing in their computers.
Some of them do OK. Some of those that don't probably wouldn't do any
better with a hardware mixer, but they don't want to believe it.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )