Penury

Default Why shouldn't someone buy Bose?

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:13:49 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
wrote:

Nousaine wrote:

What the DIY producer can do .... is make cabinetry that is elegant, unique and
magnificently finished. There's nothing wrong with that but, after building,
measuring and listening to hundreds of OEM and DIY full range and satellite
speakers over the years I can think of exactly 2 that could not be equalled or
bettered by a commerical product for significantly less money.

And here we disagree. With enough time, testing, and tweaking of
the design, a DIYer can easily equal the low-end offerings from
most every manufacturer.

A good example is Lynn Olsen's speaker systems the Ariel and ME2.
The components are available for $500 to $1,000 (depending on
crossover parts quality) per pair, plus the wood. Lynn takes you
through the design process and cabinet construction at:
http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Ariel.html
People all over the world have built and improved on the
construction details over the past 10 years since they were
introduced. Complete parts kits for these speaker systems are
available at:
http://www.northcreekmusic.com/ArielFAQ.html
I built a pair of ME2s for a friend and have heard the Ariels, and
feel you would have to spend at least $5,000 per pair for comparable
performance.

-=Bill Eckle=-

Vanity Web pages at:
http://www.wmeckle.com