Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default CD player not functioning properly

"gperkins151" wrote in message
oups.com...

Harry Lavo wrote:
"gperkins151" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

If you try the cleaning advice given earlier, and you continue to have
problems...then most likely you have a problem in the servo system or the
logic chip. These are not uncommon problems with cd and dvd transports,
and
can usually be handled by an authorized repair station or repairman.
Whether or not it is economical to have it repaired is a another
question.
If it were me in that situation, I would not hesitate to buy a new
player,
probably a Universal or SACD/CD player that also handled CD-Rs, CD-RW's,
MP3, and WMEs.

Yes, I paid $175 for the unit, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it
to service it. BTW, its a Yamaha CDC-585. I like the sound so it would
be nice to hold onto it if possible.

I am considering the Sony SCDCE-595, which gets good consumer reviews
except:
1. Hot/Bright high end. This worries me because my system is bass light
to begin with.
2. 20-25 seconds to read new discs. Is this true?
3. SACD's sound great but not as good for CD's. And I mostly play CD's.

I am therefore also considering the NAD C521BEE, but I've read that for
some users it has problems playing CD's. Someone recommends putting a
book on the player to remedy the problem. Unfortunately this player
costs almost 3X what the Sony costs.

My main concerns are price/sound quality/longevity. Any suggestions?

I don't know about the Sony CE-595, but I have owned (and still do) a CE-775
(the changer forerunner to the 595, I believe), a Sony C2000ES, and a Sony
C222ES. None would I characterize as excessively bright, and I use Thiel
speakers which do not dull the high end. You might look for a used CE-775.
They have good CD and SACD sound....not top tier, but very good especially
at their modest price. They are a favorite for modders because the main
upgrades that can improve the sound are all electronic...additional power
supply regulation, and capacitor/opamp substitutuions. These add
transparency and greater smoothness...but the basic sound of the original
unit is not bad to begin with. I use mine in my bedroom system and never
feel "deprived" from it not being my best player. The C2000ES is amazingly
transparent for its price point. The C222ES, also available used, is a
quite a bit "darker" and also a bit less transparent than the C2000ES... and
has better CD sound..it might make an excellent fit with your system and can
be had used for under $200.