Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Default CD player not functioning properly

"gperkins151" said:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

In addition to what others already said:
It seems to me that the two rods where the laserhead is sliding over,
may be dirty and/or the grease has gone thick.
That way, the feed mechanism will "overshoot" and the player will
start playing somewhere in the middle, or it will skip after playing
for a minute or so.

Clean the 2 rods with Q-tips, and lubricate it (carefully) with
silicone grease or teflon spray.

Do not use too much of it.

Another possible cause can be a piece of sand grain that's stuck
between the cog wheels of the laser transport mechanism.
Use a tooth brush to clean the dirt out.
Take care not to scratch the lens surface of the laserhead!

BTW did you already clean the lens with a Q-tip, by slightly pressing
and turning it around on the surface?

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -