Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default CD player not functioning properly

In article om,
"gperkins151" wrote:

MiNe 109 wrote:
In article .com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

I don't know about soon, but the cause could be as simple as a worn
belt. It may be worth getting it looked at.

Thanks! What I don't understand is wouldn't I have this problem with
most of my disks, if it was a worn belt?

Some discs are easier to read than others. Another simple test would be
to copy the offending cd to see if the copy plays.

When my old player stopped reading discs all it needed was to have the
transport mechanism cleaned.

Okay, took another look: you have a changer. Check the discs for
scratches or smudges, a long shot but cheaper than a repair shop or
another player.

Stephen