Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

Default DIY interconnects.

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:23:57 +1100, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

A connector needs to connect. A cable needs to conduct, and have
shielding where appropriate. Good enough is good enough.

Whilst I hate the "magic cable" attitude, I do believe there is a huge
difference in long term performance between the crappiest cables on the
market, and higher quality ones. The difference is as much mechanical as
electrical, but to be "good enough" often requires more than just some
conductivity and minimal shielding.
Fortunately it doesn't require large amounts of cash though, as some sellers
would have you believe.

I wonder if this is for a static rig or for location
recording/performance? In the latter case, mechanical durability is
indeed an issue.

Star-quad forced into platinum-plated RCA plugs for hi-fi line
connections is just silly though :-)

Absolutely! Star-quad only works for balanced connections, it doesn't do
anything over standard coax for unbalanced.

My own interconnects are mostly RG59 cable using any good quality phono
(RCA) plugs. Audio Technica used to make some very nice ones a few years
ago, and I use those and Neutrix. RG59 has the benefit of having low
capacitance, being well screened, reasonably flexible and being a 5 ohm
cable, will work equally well for analogue as for digital.

S.