Ian S

"Brian" wrote in message
I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
Woofer is used.
I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).

Any advice would be most welcome.

First of all, don't panic. While Bose may not represent the pinnacle of
audio technology, it's certainly not nearly as bad as you're being led to
believe. A test of the Bose Accoustimass 5 system some years back did not
display these gaps so I'd be surprised if your system which has one more
cube pair did. You might try leaving your entire Accoustimass system
connected (center, front left and right) and hooking up your sub to the sub
out from your amp. If you have crossover control for your sub, you could set
it to cut off frequencies above about 50 herz where the Accoustimass system
picks up. You may want to play around with placement of your sub and the
Bose woofer to see if you can achieve something that sounds good to you. If
that simply doesn't work, then there is an active market for your Bose
system on eBay although that may be problematic for you due to location.
Alternatively, set up the Bose system with an inexpensive receiver in
another room where you watch TV or listen to FM, then build a new surround
system around your sub.

Since you already have a sub, you have quite a few avenues open to you.
Because you have a small room, you may want another satellite system - I'm
pleased with my Hsu Ventriloquist but then I also have an Hsu sub that
matches it well. An advantage of the Ventriloquist is that it is gives you
6.1 instead of 5.1. The Hsu allows you, if you want, to connect the center
rear (sixth speaker) so as to get pseudo 6.1 sound out of 5.1 material. Good
luck.

Regards Brian