Trevor Wilson

"Brian" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
. ..
I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

**Correct.

I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
Woofer is used.

**Correct. There isn't.

I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).

Any advice would be most welcome.

**Sell the Bose and buy some proper equipment. You'll need to spend around
20% of the RRP of the Bose to get an equivalent sound quality.

Thanks Trevor and others for your reply's.
Could someone suggest a suitable system to replace the BOSE speakers.
I have a small sized room so a sub woofer with satellite speakers
(surround sound 5.1 setup) would be more suitable at around 100 watts.
The only speakers I have looked at so far are the Sony brand.

**Since you're a Kiwi, I suggest you look towards some Kiwi manufactured
speakers. Some Aussie speakers are also likely to be good value for money
too. In the final analysis, however, you should trust your own ears. Some
Aussie brands worth considering:

Krix
VAF
Orpheus (My favourites)
Sonique
Legend

Not all of these are likely to be available, however.

Some Pommy speakers worth considering:

B&W
KEF
JM Labs
ProAc
Spendor
Epos
Monitor Audio

Some Yank/Canadian speakers worth considering:

Paradigm
Definitive Technology
Energy
NHT
Theil
Infinity

Some Euro speakers worth considering:

Jamo
Canton
Dynaudio
MB Quart
Triangle
Sonus Faber (breathtakingly beautiful to look at)

Almost all the above companies manufacture nothing but quality products (you
will find some exceptions, though) throughout their ranges. Where possible,
however, you are likely to be saving money by buying Kiwi/Aussie products.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au