Kalman Rubinson

Default Connecting both channels of an amp

On 20 Apr 2004 15:46:18 -0700, (conrad) wrote:

The reason for dual voice coil speakers is to give added flexibility
on the loads of the amp..letting one adjust let's say from 4 ohms to 2
ohms..and the same for dual 8 ohms coils you can switch from 8 to
4....but as for connecting each voice coil separatly...I'm not
sure...i know it's an absolute no-no in stereo configuration where
each channel is getting diffrent signal..that is obviuos..

Yes, yes. In fact, the original reason for dual voice-coils is to
permit them to reproduce both channels but yet keep them electrically
isolated. I used an old University CS12W way back in the the 50s in
exactly this way.

Kal