R-P

Default How do I test my 5-year-old battery with a digital multi voltmeter for replacement?

two quick tests:

check voltage while the engine is running. Should be above 14 volts when
at idle with a normal to full battery.

check voltage while engine is NOT running. Should be about 13 volts just
after engine off.

Now switch on your headlights for half a minute. Now wait 5 minutes. In
normal temperatures the voltage you measure now will be a good grade for
the state of your battery.

12.6 to 12,75V: excellent.
Below 12.5V: shady.
Below 12 volts, beyond repair.

Given normal outside temp, the battery is topped off with demineralized
water, etc.

Do a search on google to get more info and more exact numbers.
Just rule of thumb. Testing the battery PROPERLY under load is better
(like they will do in a good shop)

R-P
--
R-P