Posted to rec.audio.pro
sTeeVee sTeeVee is offline

Default Monitors - Is More Expensive Always More Neutral?

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 3:06:28 PM UTC-4, James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

You bring up a great point, and there is an implied [but unspoken] point as well, which is the entire acoustical environment, what works best with *your* ears, what translates best, what prevents listener fatigue over a protracted mixing session, and what acoustical treatment you have given to your listening space and how precise is it? I'm afraid this is an eternal discussion. Just make sure that when you send the finished master file over to the [fill in the blank: major label; independent label; streaming service; download service, etc etc] that what the listener hears is exactly what you meant. Cheers!

SG