Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

Default Monitors - Is More Expensive Always More Neutral?

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 1:06:28 PM UTC-6, James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

Price is not the determining factor.
How the speaker sounds is what matters.
I have a pair of JBL L300 Summits They are absolutely lovely speakers and I really like them on my home system.
I tried to use them for studio monitors and they didn't work at all. It didn't matter what garbage I played on them, it always seemed to sound good.
I currently use a set of JBL 4430's which are really a decent studio monitor though I find that they lack really low bass.
What I like about the 4430 is that I can determine immediately how the vocals sit in the mix. I seem to hear the music in layers from front to back and those speakers really define that.
The other speakers that I used that sounded very similar to the 4430's were a set of Fostex 8" coaxials that had very much the same characteristics. Unfortunately I had to retire them to my living room system when the tweeter assemblies became unavailable.
There was a tremendous difference in price between the two sets but both were what i would consider neutral rather than flattering.