Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default A recording style that was in vogue or second-rate engineering?

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 7:06:52 PM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:

I'd just say that relative to Wynton Marsalis ( yeah, with roughly 40
years difference so totally no fair ) it's a lot less expressive and
singing.

IMO, only

Wynton is a fine player, very technically proficient, probably a stronger jazzer than Doc but I don't think he could play that Chimes Festival arrangement the way Doc did if his life depended on it. I don't think any other player on the planet could.

That shows a lot more tonal range than I am used to from him.

You want to hear variety of tonal color eh? Here 'ya go. An iconic Doc recording - all the way from the bottom of the horn to Eb over double C. He used to do this live in concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWQG0IdVEs