Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Missing Proximity Effect Article and Radio Microphones

On 3/30/2012 5:04 PM, Matt Faunce wrote:

It's fatter on axis. Fatter was probably the wrong word. The
tone of the clicks sound lower. It occurred to me that I'm
hearing a plosive effect, even though the windscreen. This
makes more sense to me. So much for the metronome idea. But
I think I learned plosives make the attack sound lower, and
a lot of what I thought was proximity effect, in general
cardioid usage, was a plosive effect.

This puts me in mind of a demonstration that I constructed
several years back for an article about acoustic polarity.
Google me and polarity demonstration and you'll probably
find the WAV file. What most people heard was that the
sawtooth waveform that was playing lost some bass when the
polarity was inverted. Those who refused to believe that
this was a result of a change in polarity claimed that it
had to do with the phase response of their speakers.

In any case, when you move the sound source off to the side,
you change its phase, and hence polarity, relation to the
on-axis source. It could be that this is what you're hearing
with the metronome.

Or not.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff