Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Missing Proximity Effect Article and Radio Microphones

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:22:10 GMT, (Don Pearce) wrote:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:03:29 -0400, Matt Faunce
wrote:

On 3/30/12 12:24 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/30/2012 8:37 AM, Matt Faunce wrote:

.. So late last night I tested a 0.5 inch
cardioid mike I have (AKG blueline) by placing it one inch
away from my metronome speaker which clicks at two different
pitches. I used the metronome because it has a single small
speaker, so direction will be more precise than a
multi-speaker speaker. I had to make two takes, one for each
mike position, then for playback I boosted the gain on the
sideways position take to match the other. The bass boost
seemed gone at the sideways position.

How much bass do you get out of a metronome?

This is another question that I'm not sure I know enough to even
articulate. I still hear a fattening effect. Maybe the mike isn't
boosting the bass frequencies of the metronome, but fattening the
attack. Or is it converting the attack into a bass frequency?

I haven't gotten the physics of proximity effect straight in my head
yet. So Don, I'll be looking forward to going back your article.

Matt

The fattening is because you are hearing more of the reverberant sound
from the room, and less of the dry, direct sound.

I have to reconstruct a web site, and that isn't going to happen until
tomorrow. I'll let you know.

OK, it all went a little quicker than I expected. Here you go:

http://www.soundthoughts.co.uk/read/mic/