Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Missing Proximity Effect Article and Radio Microphones

On 3/30/2012 8:37 AM, Matt Faunce wrote:

.. So late last night I tested a 0.5 inch
cardioid mike I have (AKG blueline) by placing it one inch
away from my metronome speaker which clicks at two different
pitches. I used the metronome because it has a single small
speaker, so direction will be more precise than a
multi-speaker speaker. I had to make two takes, one for each
mike position, then for playback I boosted the gain on the
sideways position take to match the other. The bass boost
seemed gone at the sideways position.

How much bass do you get out of a metronome? A better
experiment would be to speak an inch from the front of the
mic, then an inch from the side of the mic. Then a foot from
the front of the mic and a foot from the side of the mic.

That proximity effect goes away (or doesn't) off to the side
of a cardioid mic is really kind of a silly premise, though.
The mic simply sounds different off axis than on axis. And
there's no sharp a dividing line. I would expect the amount
of proximity effect to be reduced off axis, but even an inch
away, there will still be some sound getting into the front
of the mic, so you'll hear some proximity effect.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff