Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Advice To Others Wanting to Build A Stereo System

On 4/08/2018 8:57 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
I didn't say that, and I'm sure Scott wouldn't say that either. What I
said was that it was OK to connect a 4 ohm speaker to an amplifier
that's rated for an 8 ohm speaker, as long as you keep it down to a safe
level. For a given setting on the volume knob, a 4 ohm speaker may not
play as loud as an 8 ohm speaker, but that depends on other things in
addition to impedance.

Yes it depends FAR more on speaker efficiency. However given 2 speakers
both with the same efficiency, usually rated at SPL out for 2.83V input,
(1W into 8ohm) then the 4ohm speaker, NOT the 8ohm one will sound louder
at the same volume control setting, assuming the amplifier is capable of
handling the current. And there's the rub with cheap amps these days.
They are often rated for 6ohm+ speakers because they have limited
current capability for their maximum voltage output. So yes everything
is fine at low volume, but not when near maximum levels.