Posted to rec.audio.tech
mick

Default solid state vs tubes?

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 04:19:47 +0800, tai fu burbled:

So is there any difference between using tube amps for listening to music
than solid state? I heard there were a bunch of double blind tests and
people could not tell the difference. I know there is a huge difference
when it comes to guitar amps because tubes distort differently than solid
state, but now we're talking about within the amp's headroom, is there a
difference?

From a listening point of view valve amps tend to "soft clip" wheras solid
state amps tend to "hard clip" - which makes the amp sound pretty bad.
However, you shouldn't be running the amp into clipping anyway! I,
personally, use both s/state and valves. I like both. *Good* amps of both
kinds will usually sound very similar. If you have sensitive speakers
(90dBW or better) then it is worth trying valves if you have the
opportunity. Although they are usually lower powered than similar-priced
s/state amps the soft clipping allows them to be used close to their full
power rating without sounding objectionable. Even low powered valve amps
(5W or so) can sound *plenty* loud enough for most people if the speakers
are sensitive.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )