Steven Sullivan

Default tweaks and proof

Bromo wrote:
On 6/19/04 2:58 AM, in article euRAc.66191$eu.32407@attbi_s02, "Uptown
Audio" wrote:

He read on the net that Yamaha made a great
integrated amp and he bought one. He hooks it up to his system, the
only thing that he has changed, and he hates it. No bass, distorted
high frequencies or noise or something that bothers him in that range
and of course, a huge disappointment after all the "hype".

This is the basic issue I have with people who make these claims with
"challenges" and so on. It might verify a rather narrow claim, but be of
little use, and some detriment, to a consumer.

The basic issue is that sighted listening is prone to bias.

I have found that most reviews help narrow the field - but a good HiFi
dealer will be able to give you a system you like with components you hadn't
really considered, sometimes.

Or at least, ones he can make a good profit on.

Should I
suggest that he just measure it and shut-up with his belly-aching as
there is nothing wrong with that fine amp, but it that it is all in
his head?

The group here, at least half of them, you give that advise, I am sure.

Apparently both of you fail, even after all this time here, to realize the
distinction between objective measurements, and bias-controlled *listening*
as two sorts of evidence for difference.
Perhaps this explains why you repeatedly haul out this 'just measure it' straww
man.

Btw, a *gross* lack of bass, such as described would *have to* show up in both sorts
of evidence, if real.

And if it doesn't, what would be *your* conclusions?

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --