Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
[email protected] invalid@invalid.invalid is offline

Default LAME conversion to MP3

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:04:04 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 20/02/2020 10:48 am, lid wrote:
This message follows on from a previous message to this forum. I need
confirmation that I have used the right parameters saving to MP3, and
that the audio quality of the MP3 file is as good as that of the WAV
file.

An MP3 can *never* have as good quality as its source WAV file.

That said 192kHz can be pretty much 'as good' for most people on average
playback systems.

Yeah, the bit rate of the source file is 192 Kbps, so creating an MP3
file with the same bit rate is obviously the best thing to do.

Surely you are still over-thinking this. S

I'm not an expert at computer audio, and value the thoughts of people
more knowledgeable than myself.

(1) I have used the parameters for the source WAV file when creating
the MP3 file. Is this a sensible approach? Audio quality is top
priority.

Yes.

(2) Please tell me if the audio in the MP3 file is as clear as with
the WAV. I think it is, but I would like to be re-assured.

Probably not quite the same, but nothing glaringly different. Most
people wouldn't know or care.

The words on the recording are, "people like that should be .... I
know, they should be homeless".

Thank you for responses.

Given the quality of the source material, does it matter ? Or is the
objective to enable people to have the best shot at picking out the words.

Yes, I want good audio quality, to allow people to hear on the MP3 the
same words which are on the source WAV.

Also if the WAV is 83KB and the resultant MP3 93KB, what is the point of
making it an MP3 in the first place - player compatibility maybe ?

Exactly. The source WAV doesn't work with MS Edge and other browsers,
whereas the created MP3 should work with everything.