Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default An unexpected reluctance to participate ina blind comparison

On Feb 21, 5:49=A0pm, "Dave M." wrote:
Scott,

=A0 =A0You'll get much better results by spending some money. Find folks =

who are
somewhat knowledgeable about music. Music schools and univ. music depts a=

re
full of such people so put up ads there. Offer $25/hr for their time. Hav=

e a
good playback system in a comfortable room. If it's a long trial schedule
break time.
=A0 =A0A pleasant test and reasonable money will attract participants thr=

ough
word of mouth. It should be easy to do this in a double-blind fashion, to=

o.
You may be able to recoup some of your money by getting an article publis=

hed
in an audio magazine.

Dave M.

Well I did it so the folks out there could try it, have some fun and
maybe learn a little about how they listen to classical music. Turns
out that after a slow reception the folks over at the Steve Hoffman
forum are really enjoying doing blind comparisons. If you or anyone
else wants to check it out here is a link.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...php?t=3D277315

I am thankful the moderators here let me start this thread. It is
really more about music than audio but I suppose the theme of blind
protocols makes it relevant. I have no interest in spending money on
it though. The time I spend putting the programs together for each
comparison is enough of a proverbial donation. But at the same time
putting those comparisons together is always an interesting process
and I end up learning something more about the music and the musicians
along the way.