Nousaine

Default The Audio Critic

chung wrote:

lcw999 wrote:

.....many snips .....

Perhaps..you did not get the hint that "all is not known
about any process at this point in time".

Perhaps you didn't get the hint that there is also a lot that is known
about aduio reproduction, especially regarding how cables do not require
burn-in?

Newer and
more comprehensive measuring techniques will come
about...but, there is not much of a desire here to do
much more than to argue with the current array of tools
available. Perhaps this interplay has run its course,
as mentioned above. Sorry.

Argument about "tools"; that's what these threads finally come to. This one
seems to have originated because engineers don't have good enough tools to
measure the sibilance in an audio cable that's been broken in.

I find it interesting that when a subjectivist fails to validate a claim it's
always because the most sophisticated listening tools (bias controlled
listening tests) "obscure" subtle (or even 'night and day') differences and the
most sensitive technical electrical and acoustical measurement equipment can
only detect "gross" frequency response and level differences (which are well
below human threshold differences.)

It's never acknowledged that subjectivists have failed to produce a replicable
or public demonstration with even the most modest of bias control (even as
modest as placing an opague cloth over I/O terminals) validating the claim.

It's the Tug McGraw Merchandising Syndrome ..... you just gotta believe ....
even when you can't prove it. Everybody else HAS to PROVE that you can't hear
anything you CLAIM to hear even if you can't demonstrate same. The difference
is Tug actually showed his team could win.

I once discussed this aspect with a good friend in the industry. There are so
many cranks and snake-oil products I wondered why few, given they are often
competing with each other for our dollars, are willing to publicly point out
that competition is FOS. He said it's just a matter of an insider industry
understanding that "I won't say your BS is BS as long as you will do likewise."