Bob Marcus

Default The Audio Critic

lcw999 wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:56:20 +0000, chung wrote:

lcw999 wrote:

Yes! ever hear a cable that had "spitty" sounding silibance and
have it slowly subside after a week or two. But, I forgot, they
all sound the same..I should have never ask!

It's perfectly OK to ask. The answer is no, you are imagining it. There
is no physical property of the cable that requires burn-in to acheive a
superior (whatever that is) state.

Whoa..."no physical property of the cable....."
One, cannot truthfully make this type of statement at
point in time..see the below section on Particle
Physics!

In fact, this is one of the rare forums where you actually get a good
answer for this kind of questions, so bring on more questions!

Hmmm...let me see..you do not hear something...therefore the
individual that does, is imagining it. Very scientific and an
extremely easy out. Tell us more about this overwhelming method of
determining what the individual next to you is hearing or not hearing?

It's called perceptual psychology--a well-established scientific discipline.
I suggest you acquaint yourself with it. A basic textbook on psychoacoustics
would be a good place to start.

Do temper those opinions that wire characteristics are fixed forever!

Also, do be aware that Particle physics study is showing us that we do
not understand or grasp, at this point in time, all the the variables
that any given organic component is subjected to...we are not there
yet. What they are telling us is that we should not mistakenly plow
along thinking we have all the factors together yet. There is interplay
between particles that are understood..the variables of this particle
interplay is not understood. So rather than jumping to an easy
conclusion that "someone is imagining" something..therefore it does not
exist...perhaps, one should wait until more is known about particle
physics and its interplay with all things. A rather Scientific thing to
do. Wire being in an organic state is subject to magnetics, RF,
gravitational issues and a lot of variables not fully inderstood..so
temper this urge to make statements about what another can or can't
detect.

But, then if one has it all together and can use the ole "...you are
imagining that scenario.." then I must politely step back and
mumble..O.K.!! Awed with the Pseudo-Scientic insights that abound
within some Engineering thought processes!

Leonard...

P.S. Note that over the years the Scientific disciplines tend to
root out the facts of the "real world" and pass this along to
the Engineering domain to utilize in its constructive
processes. However, when Engineering begins to reach back into
the Scientific domain and attempts to become
pseudo-scientist...we get into this easy "...you are imagining
this..." technique. Please, enough..wait intil the Scientic
domain works it way through all the issues in the Particle
theory. We are all involved in this
"Electro-Chemical-Organic" sphere. What we do not
"understand"...is grossly effecting us daily...The Scientist
will eventually unravel this.. Be patient. Do attempt to gain
something from the "Agnostic" thinking processes and
look at yourself in the mirror and honestly state:

" I just don't know all the answers yet"

We aren't talking about a theory of everything. We're talking about how an
electrical current passes through a passive device at audio frequencies.
And, yes, we've pretty much got that one nailed--at least to within the
tolerances necessary to make the statement you objected to above. Ask any
particle physicist.

"Help me to know that "I don't know"
in the many spheres of human intellect".

Rather than belittling engineers, perhaps you might try to understand what
they are saying to you. They are not the only ones on this forum who do not
know everything.

bob