Steven Sullivan

Default The Audio Critic

S Koons wrote:
*You* begin to realize that. *I* realized that there is, at last,
someone publishing an audio magazine that *didn't* buy into
the endless nonsense of sighted comparison.

But, you can't deny the importance of sighted comparison when it's
really the *appearance of the case* that is the most important attribute
of a piece of audio equipment.

LOL. But how often is that realization admitted to, in component
reviews?

Funny you should mention this. With a little more prosperity, I've become
more concerned with appearances - especially for speakers, which can be
pretty ugly.

But I also wondered how much appearance affects the preception of the
sound. -- Do massive cases induce the listeners to describe the sound as
massive? Do rounded cases induce descriptions of rounder sound? This
wouldn't be too hard to test. Perhaps it's already been done. Anyone want
to put a small amp in a big case and test against another unit of the same
model?

On a related note 'brand effect' of speakers has already been studied,
byt the folks at the speaker comparison
lab at H-K/JBL, and IIRC, they found that rating of sound quality
were often related to brand...and that that perception often changed
when the brand info was kept from the listener. So if something as
simple as knowing the brand of the speaker can have this effect, surely
the *appearance* can too.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director